The idea of losing weight without doing exercises makes many people question – is that even possible? Well, yes, it is possible to lose weight by diet alone with any exercises but it is not recommended. The only portion that you burn this way is fats, you also tend to shed away good muscle tissue and bone density by doing so. Of course, beyond burning fat, people shouldn’t forget that exercise can have other impressive health perks, like improving the quality of your sleep, lowering your cholesterol and reducing your stress level.
For long term results both diet and exercise are equally important, but remember, “You cannot out-exercise a bad diet!” So focussing on the few critical things that relates to weight loss and food, let’s put those DO’s and DON’Ts in points for better understanding.
As a rule of thumb, weight loss is generally 75 percent diet and 25 percent exercise. But for some people it is easy to cut down on calories than to burn them. So, what should you eat? It’s true that low-carb diets tend to be the most popular because they offer the fastest results, but they can be difficult to sustain. I recommend striving for a more balanced plan that focuses on fruits and veggies, lean proteins and whole grain carbs. And never cut calories too low (this causes your metabolism to slow, and you can start losing muscle mass). For a healthy calorie count, for a 68 KG woman should shoot for a 1,500-calorie target. That way, you should be able to lose weight no matter how much you exercise.
DO’s TO BECOME SLIM
1. DRINK WATER – Keeping yourself hydrated is the key to a lot of things.
- Take at least 2-3 litres of water per day.
- Drinking warm water will also help with maintaining health – eases constipation for instance.
- It also decreases the chances of having kidney stones.
2. HAVE FIBRE – Fruits and vegetables are a great source of fibre in the diet.
- Fruits and vegetables are low-calorie, high-nutrient foods with high fibre – making us feel full for a longer time.
- Starting your meal with fruits or having fruits in between meals keeps you full and hydrated.
- Oats, muesli and wheat flakes are a great source of fibre and having them with fruits is a great combination. The water intake in the fruits helps with the digestion.
3. CHOOSE HEALTHY FATS – Not all fats are bad for your body. Have good fats as it is essential for your body function too
- Healthy fats like nuts, avocado, fish oils are a great source of nourishment and energy.
- Healthy Fats keep the cell membrane healthy and reduce inflammation.
- Consuming healthy fats like almonds, cashews, macadamia nuts, flax seeds, olive oil keep heart diseases, blood sugar at bay and help in losing weight as there are less calories involved and the digestion is easy.
- If you have nuts as snacks – it is considered best to have the nuts in the morning so you can burn the fat during the day.
4. MONITOR SALT INTAKE – keeping a close check on the salt intake during the day is necessary.
- This could mean giving up on your favourite foods due to high salt content.
- Having foods like pakodas, chips and such foods lead to an increase in the sodium content, lead to the chances of water retention which is caused due to high salt levels in our food.
5. HAVE HOME COOKED MEALS – Eating out from restaurants and fast food chains are the biggest reasons for the ever-growing obesity. Fast foods like burgers, pizzas, tacos, pastas etc. are unhealthy. Processed foods and frying the content is not a god method if you’re considering slimming down.
- Cooking at home is necessary so that you know which ingredients you are using and in how much quantity.
- Restaurant foods are cooked in bulk and the exposure to the flame for the foods is relatively high. Cooking foods for too long takes away all the good nutrients from it and leaves it with only empty calories.
6. WALK, AT LEAST AFTER MEALS – If you’re not cut out for exercising or running, then taking up walking is a good option.
- Walking not only freshens you up but it also makes it easier to digest the food that you’ve consumed and burns calories.
- Researchers claim that taking a stroll post meal, clear glucose from the bloodstream and improve the blood sugar levels.
7. EAT SMALL REGULAR MEALS – Eating frequently is the first advice a dietician will give you to become slim and lose weight.
- Eating healthy snacks every 2-3 hours is essential to lose weight.
- Eating healthy regularly activates the metabolism.
- This helps the body to utilise the calories as energy, thus helping in becoming slim.
- It is suggested that you should have 5-6 meals around the day. Mid meal snacks should contain fruits and veggies like celery, baby carrots, oranges, nuts, yogurt etc.
- It is important to note to have small meals that are spread throughout the day and do not have heavy mid meal snacks. Biscuits, chips, fried items have to be completely avoided.
8. MANAGE STRESS LEVELS – The main reason for women to gain weight is stress. Stress releases a hormone called cortisol, which hinders the making of insulin. This makes the blood sugar level in your body drop, which produces cravings.
- You will start craving for sugary and cheesy foods instead of healthy foods.
- Find activities that help you deal with stress and take them up to unwind and relax, which eventually stop producing cortisol and your body will start losing weight.
- Activities such as reading books, meditating, listening to music, going out etc are a good way to kill off stress.
- Losing weight becomes even easier when your mind isn’t stressed.
9. PEACEFUL SLEEP – A sleep schedule has to be followed. At least 7-8 hours of sleep a day is necessary for weight loss.
- Sleep boosts the metabolism in your body. Sleep deprivation can lead to hunger, binge eating, increased appetite and eventually weight gain.
- Oversleeping also slows down the metabolism so it is necessary to have the perfect amount of sleep and follow a sleep routine.
10. SLOW DOWN WHEN EATING – Chew every bite properly when having your food. Eating fast tends to cause bloating as by doing so you take in a lot of air too.
- Do not talk much while eating. Eat slowly, chewing each bite properly. You will tend to eat less this way too!
11. ADD LEAN PROTEIN – To become slim at home, lean proteins should be included in your diet.
- Lean proteins are essential to build lean muscle mass and toned muscles.
- “myDaily meal” manufactures protein as per the needs of a man and woman separately, keeping in mind the nutrients that each body type requires.
- The details about this can be found on “www.mydailymeal.com”
DON’Ts TO KEEP IN MIND
1.ONLY WHOLE GRAINS – Substitute refined grains for whole grains like whole grain bread, brown rice, bran flakes or pop-corn – this will provide the essential fibre for the body and will fill you up faster, making you eat in reasonable portions.
- By removing the foods that cause bloating, you will become slim in no time.
- Carbohydrates rich foods cause bloating which settles mostly around the stomach.
2. NO FIZZY OR SUGARY DRINKS – Another way to become slim naturally is to remove soda and fizzy drinks from your diet.
- Fizzy drinks, even diet ones; contain a large amount of sodium which contributes to bloating.
- So, every time you feel like having something to drink, you should opt for a Green Tea. Even better results can be seen with the 6X Green Tea (find it on www.mydailymeal.com ). It works 6 times better than any normal green tea giving better results. Oh, it also has a lemon flavour to it! Healthy but tastes good too!
3. NO PROCESSED FOODS – Refined or processed foods are stripped of their nutrients, so you shouldn’t be having anything that has no nutrients.
- Processed foods are high in calories and very low in nutrients. This will only cause you to gain unhealthy weight that will be very hard to lose.
4. NO SUGAR RICH FOODS – Quit having desserts and sweets as they contain high amounts of sugar which are harder to digest and are also low in nutrients.
- Not only sweets have the extra sugar, they also contribute a lot to bloating.
- If you are craving for something, take up dark chocolate as it is good for your health and does not fatten you up.
5. NO SKIPPING MEALS – The worst thing to do to your body is skipping your much needed meals, so skipping is never the right solution for slimming down.
- A balanced diet is what you need to slim down.
6. QUIT SMOKING AND ALCOHOL – Smoking causes toxic accumulation which prevents fat mobilisation.
- Smoking also causes cancer, skin problems and constipation.
- Alcohol hinders with nutrient absorption and due to high sugar content also leads to weight gain.
- Restrict only 1 glass of wine over the weekends, if needed and nothing more than that.
Read along the next blog to see the affects of alcohol on nutrition.
Losing weight without exercises and staying healthy could be a task for some people. With myDaily we make it easy for the willing to have our products as we have designed them to give the best of nutrients with the exact calories that your body needs. myDaily Perfect Meal Replacement can work wonders for someone who is determined to lose weight, it contains nutrients that are rich in minerals, antioxidants and amino acids that are essential for the smooth functioning of the body.
Note: We’ve also recently launched monthly, quarterly weight loss plans. The idea is to work closely with users, make small but impactful changes in the diet and help them lose weight. Give it a try here.